This afternoon, I asked where the GeoTags went? I really wanted to discuss some application of the GeoTags concept, but I had to leave for a fifth Sunday rally at one of our sister churches.

The application I am wanting to use GeoTagging for is two sites: the one for my church (I am working on designing their site) and the one for the church camp (I am working on redesigning that site) that my church is involved with. If someone with a GPS reciever gave me the coordinates from the front porch of the church and from the main building at camp, then these could be GeoTagged into the web site. With the GeoTagged web sites, people could see exactly where these community resources are.

I think churches should definitely be GeoTagging their sites with very precise coordinates. While I can see why a personal site might not want precise coordinates (to prevent cyber-stalking, etc. In fact, the GeoTags on my blog and resume point to the center of town, and I don't live in the center of town.), a church wants to be found. Why not make it easy for web-savvy seekers to find you?

As I wrote that last paragraph, I thought of something. GeoTags should NOT take the place of a page with well-written directions and a well drawn map. While GeoTags can help locate your site on a search engine's map (not Google's Local Search, and I don't know why not), they will not take the place of showing your web site visitors where you are located on your site.