Marketing expert Seth Godin wrote a check list to go through before sending an e-mail . My favorites:

27. Am I forwarding something about religion (mine or someone else’s)? (If so, delete).

How true it is. I get forwards that people send because they think I will be interested because it is Christian. However, often, I have already seen them or something similar. Besides, is forwarding an e-mail really a good way to “make disciples of all the nations1 or to beg others “on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.1? Wouldn’t it be better to take time to write the person a personal message and carry on an electronic conversation with them?

28. Am I forwarding something about a virus or worldwide charity effort or other potential hoax? (If so, visit snopes and check to see if it’s ‘actually true).

Again, I may have already seen it. Also, it might not be true, and therefore, is a waste of my time. Besides, shouldn‘t a place of such unlimited educational potential be used for it? Not to mention, slactivism accomplishes nothing (that sounds like “faith without works3).

36. If I had to pay 42 cents to send this email, would I?

Self-explanatory.

Footnotes
  1. Matthew 28:19 (NASB)
  2. II Corinthians 5:20 (NASB)
  3. James 2:26 (NASB)
  4. I guess I am in a footnoting mood tonight.

Labels: ,