No, this isn't Sesame Street, this is a meme that started elsewhere and got picked up by Andrew Careaga, the Bloggedy Blogger. The idea behind the meme (other than making you think) is that AC gave me a letter: "G". I am to take that letter and come up with ten things that start with that letter. If you choose to respond to this post with a comment, I will give you a letter, and you can post (on your own blog) your list of ten!

Here we go!

  1. God: Creator of the universe, Giver of life, Father of Jesus Christ.
  2. Grace: Undeserved favor (or as Merriam-Webster's puts it: "unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification"). The reason Jesus died on the cross. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9, NIV)
  3. Glee: Joy! Jubilee! Unbounded Happiness! What I feel when I think of "God's unspeakable gift" (yes, it may have been wrapped in flesh, a dirty diaper, swaddling clothes, straw, and a manger; but He's wonderful! "Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift!" --II Corinthians 9:15, KJV). The way I felt on my wedding day!
  4. Gift: I was going to say see above, but it bears repeating: "Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift!" (II Corinthians 9:15, KJV). "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given..." (Isaiah 9:6, KJV).
  5. Grief: The way I felt when my grandparents died. What I feel when people trample people hunting for Christmas gifts. The way God feels for people dying in a quagmire of sin.
  6. Gainesville: A city in Florida that is about 150 miles from my current position, but where my wife is, who I miss! Home of that other university. It's named for Edmund P. Gaines, who fought in the Seminole Wars. For AC and my brother, Tom Petty was born and raised there. Wikipedia says there are 7 others in the United States!
  7. Gingersnaps: Normally good cookies of which I am eating poor sugar-free imitations thereof from Soviet Canuckistan!
  8. Groping: What I am doing for the final three G's.
  9. Gators: Always a shortened form of the word alligators, large carnivorous reptiles that live in Florida. Also the mascot of that other university.
  10. Gravity: It's a law we can all live with! If I can do this in MathML: Oops! That didn't work! The formula is f(G)=G((m1*m2)/(r^2)), where f(G) is the force caused by gravity, G is the universal constant of Gravitation, m1 and m2 are the masses of the bodies, and r is the separation between the bodies. Isn't God great?

Edit: Some stray weird characters crept in (possibly when this moved to the new Blogger, so I removed them. Also, tags got converted to labels (see the aforementioned post on the new Blogger). Also, the MathML really messed up XHTML validation, so it's gone!

Labels: , , ,