My friend Henry posted about some of his favorite things about summer. The #2 thing Henry was looking forward to this summer was "fireflies - cause they're yellow".

I had to go out on the back porch last night, and I saw fireflies. I was very excited about these small greenish-yellow specks of light flying around the small strip of woods behind our apartment. I stood mesmerized for several minutes by the random spots of light floating between the trees.

Later in the evening, I got to thinking about it. Are Christians mesmerizing? Are non-Christians mesmerized by our lights moving throughout the world? Are our lights shining or have we burned out? Is our light visible, or is it drown out by the world? Are we carrying out Jesus' teaching:

[14] "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;
[15] nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
[16] Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)

Tags: , , ,