On the way home this evening after a late night at the office, I was listening to NPR on WFSU. Talk of the Nation was discussing citizen journalism, including blogging. From what I heard of it (which was only part of the program), it was an interesting discussion. John Temple (he mentioned on air that he had a blog, so I had to link it), managing editor of the Rocky Mountain News, discussed the new YourHub initiative that his paper started. The idea is mix citizen journalists with professional journalists and get a news outlet (both print and web) that is more local and community-specific. It sounds like a good idea, and I am now wondering how I can make it work on a church website. I know of one church hosting blogs, as we discussed at the OSMinistry.com forums, but I am thinking of a more collaborative idea like what Temple described on NPR: communities telling their stories.

Tags: , ,