I Peter 3:15 (NASB) says:

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence

Peter rights writes (Edit, 01 Feb 2005: Brain confused the homophones. Thanks to Chris for catching my slipup.) here that we should always be ready to defend the hope that is in us as Christians, the hope that Jesus Christ gave us when he saved us from our rebellion against God. Some translations (the King James among them) translate defense as "answer", but the point is the same. As Christians, when someone asks why we believe what we believe, we need to be ready to give an answer.

Being ready requires preparation. It requires us to think about what we believe. It requires us to think about what brought us to that belief.

The other day I was reading We Know More than Our Pastors (PDF, 601 kB) from e-Church.com (don't loose that hyphen, the non-hyphenated site is a consulting firm). This essay by Tim Bednar discusses the power of blogging Christians as a "ministry of all believers" (which Bednar credits to Martin Luther, but I credit to I Peter 2:9-10). He talks about the power of the blog in spiritual development because you have to think about what your writing about. Which brings me back to my point:
Can blogs help us to improve our ability "to give a defense for the hope that is in us"?

I think the answer is yes, because I think if we journal about our walk with Christ, we will think about it more. Thinking about it more, I believe, improves our ability "to give a defense for the hope that is in us".